I am a qualified Dance Movement Psychotherapist whose approach is Person-Centred, with a somatic, body based orientation where music is an important element. I trained at Masters level and am registered with the Association for Dance Movement Psychotherapy (ADMP) UK.
In addition I am training for an Advanced Diploma in Counselling Supervision (level 7), accredited by the National Counselling Society (NCS).
I have worked with Children, adolescents and adults with learning disabilities, autism and other complex needs for a good twenty to twenty five years, starting off as a Montessori Teacher since 1993 where my teaching groups were based around movements and dances from the beginning! I have also worked as a Creative Movement Facilitator in many schools and colleges across the UK including France.
Areas of Speciality with Children:
- Learning Disabilities
- Emotional Behavioural Difficulties
- Attachment disorder
- Feeling sad
Areas of Speciality with Adults:
- Learning Disabilities
- Psychosomatic Illnesses
- Carer Support
- Low confidence and self esteem issues
- Relationship issues
- Stress and trauma
The Idea is to Keep Alive the Impulse to Movement:
Movement says something about the child, his mood, his flexibility or rigidity and movement in relationship can enable him to change or at least to have a new experience or sensation. As an example, the child who has difficulties in completing schoolwork may not have a cognitive impairment at all. His /her learning difficulties may be a result of emotional stresses.
Since some children with disabilities remain on the pre-verbal level, non-verbal techniques such as dance therapy are the best as they reach and activate the child. Revitalise them through the body, re-establishing a sense of trust in oneself and others; aid in re-socialisation and provides an outlet for discharge of tension, frustration and hostility.
The idea is to keep alive the movement impulse the root of all development in working with the emotional well-being in children as well as replace intellectualized movement which tends to encourage dissociation of mind and body with harmony and well-being through breathing, muscular fluctuation and feeling Bartenieff (2002)
MA Dance Movement Psychotherapy (DMP), Dance Voice Bristol
Biodanza – Dance Therapy Facilitator (August 2000, Rolando Toro Araneda))
- Children 1998
- Clinical applications Milan June 2003
- Didactic teaching march 2002
- Identity and the four elements South Africa December 2002
- Tutor of school in London, Brussels, Paris and Amsterdam
- Archetypes Gran Canaria 2005
ITEC Holistic Massage Diploma
Montessori Early years Teaching Diploma
CPD Courses and training:
- Dance for the Disabled (Foundation for Community Dance)
- Laban Movement Analysis (Layla Smith London)
- Body mapping Intensive (Annette Schwaebe)
- ‘Keeping our children safe’ – Designated Person Safeguarding Training (Children in Wales)
- Deaf-Blind Awareness training (RNIB)
- Attachment (ANW)
- Energy psychology for trauma levels 1&2 (Energy Counselling Bristol)
- Dance of Awareness training (Brighton School for Embodied Therapy)
- Family Constellation work (Sarasi Rogers)