‘If only I could do what you do in your sessions to instil a calming energy’!
Sheila in Powys
These are offered to Schools, Day Centres, Privately and run for an hour.
With the focus on easing the anxiety and fear that children have because they are frightened or worried perhaps and the only way they can cope with this is to behave in ways that are difficult for teachers and carers.
Using elements such as Rhythm / Melody / Creativity / Harmony / Fluidity /Physiology / Playing / Human connection with a strong focus on health / Life.
A typical session consists of:
- A check in verbally or non-verbally creatively using gesture and movement,
- Warm-up to stretch, move and connect into the energy of the body,
- The creative Space where symbolic exploration and movement metaphor takes place. A space to understand what you need and to explore relationship with others,
- Relaxation and rebalancing the mind, body and spirit,
- Check-out verbally or non-verbally creatively using gesture and movement.
‘Sensory Movement and Communication Sessions’ for Children
The ‘Sensory Movement and Communication Sessions’ address the vital need for Sensory Play, Communication and to be heard.
The ‘Sensory Movement and Communication Sessions’ are about keeping the inner healthy connections alive. The idea is to keep alive the movement impulse the root of all development in working with the emotional wellbeing in children as well as replace intellectualized movement which tends to encourage dissociation of mind and body with harmony and wellbeing through breathing, muscular fluctuation and feeling (Bartenieff 2002).
Since some children with difficulties remain on the pre-verbal level, non-verbal techniques such as dance therapy are the best as they reach and activate the child. Revitalise them through the body, re-establishing a sense of trust in oneself and others; aid in re-socialisation and provides an outlet for discharge of tension, frustration and hostility.
Movement says something about the child, his mood, his flexibility or rigidity and movement in relationship can enable him to change or at least to have a new experience or sensation. As an example, the child who has difficulties in completing schoolwork may not have a cognitive impairment at all. Her learning difficulties may be a result of emotional stresses.
In the ‘Sensory Movement and Communication Sessions’ a bombardment of positive movement beyond the boundaries of ordinary movement activities is established. There are three major assumptions concerning its practice:
- Movement reflects personality
- The relationship between the therapist and the child/adult through movement supports and enables behavioural change
- And significant changes occur on the movement level that can affect total functioning.
An example Session:
For children with anxiety / behaviour challenges / difficulty in concentrating School Group:
Introducing the theme
Circle of hands hearts and humanity activating roots and wings:
Music to Warm up, walking, dancing in pairs, vital rhythm. :
• Connect into the body
• Positive energy
• Following the children
• Basic movements such as loco motor and non-loco motor skills
• This section involves the elements of movement such as time, energy, space/shape and transition
• In addition, the movement problem is addressed here e.g.
• The theme of what it is like to be strong. Playing dynamic music, perhaps Mars that encourages outward peripheral movements in the space
• Inviting child and their support partner to explore this for five mins or so.
Development of the theme:
• Extend the step and stretch the body more
• Using props
• Following the creative impetus and spontaneous sound and gestures
Empathy and gentle containment:
• In pairs or support groups
• Holding hands and resting together in a nest
• Taking care
• Nurture time
Mindfulness and meditation:
Circle of resting and restoring:
In applying the dance movement therapy programme the concerns are with the behaviour, the emotion and the spontaneous characteristics of the movements rather than with any aesthetic orientation.
‘Give me this everyday’
Carer of child in Newport
For more information about these session just contact me: