Finding the feelings and starting from where they are is how I work with children who have Learning disabilities, Autism, Cerebral Palsy and Behaviours that others find Challenging. Dancing their feelings is what happens next!
The sessions are child-centred.
This form of therapy provides a way for me as the therapist to establish the channel of communication that is necessary in order to learn the feelings and the personality of the child with additional needs. The universal language of movement is the language used because it is non-verbal.
Being able to express in random and controlled ways what it is they are needing to communicate and having the situation and the environment cope with this in ways that allow him/her to adapt to the space around.
In this interacting and exploring I am witness to movement patterns showing how they are communicating and relating and this in essence is the beginning of therapeutic intervention as they learn skills by adapting for example to the music through their ideas and movements.
The goal is to channel the communication patterns into ‘dances of relationship’
The starting point is understanding and joining them and respecting the organic timing for building a relationship of trust.
The cost for individual sessions is: £40
Sensory movement and communication
The ‘Sensory Movement and Communication Sessions’ are about stimulating the impulse to movement and really encouraging the healthy self esteem and sense of achievement and at the same time having positive outcomes and benefits such as social relatedness and being contained in an environment of affection the strengthening of the identity.
In the ‘Sensory Movement and Communication Sessions’ a bombardment of positive experiences beyond the boundaries of ordinary everyday activities is established. There are three major assumptions concerning its practice:
- Movement is the language used
- The relationship between the therapist and the child/adult through movement supports and enables behavioural and emotional change
- Significant changes occur on the movement level that can affect total functioning.
A typical session consists of:
1. A welcome creatively using gesture and movement
2. Warming up the energy of the body
3. Grounding through rhythmic games
4. The creative space to sing, dance, share and be seen
5. breathing, balancing and belonging organically
6. A goodbye time verbally or non-verbally creatively using gesture and movement.
The cost for group sessions is:£75 and for 1 to 1 is £35